Continuing from the Multi-Tenancy discussion I will take on another aspect of implementation – Reports and dashboards delivery
As we discussed in the earlier post OBIEE – Multi-Tenancy implementations – What is it, a multi-tenancy implementation generally involves varied user base with different needs from the underlying data warehouse. Further, the users are also able to extend the presentation catalog on their own during the lifetime of this implementation.
So ideally, the providers will present the users with a basic set of reports and dashboards which will be deemed universal for the subject areas being covered. These will be designed after consulting with various user groups from different target audience (tenant groups). The provider should also provide certain basic templates which can be extended for ad-hoc analysis to ensure that the users are utilizing the power of the underlying BI platform. As this blog is focused primarily around OBIEE and supporting Oracle echo system, I will say that this should be given to the users so they can benefit from the ‘Ad-hoc’ capabilities provided by OBIEE. With appropriate training the users can form a ‘power user’ group within their rank and file and these users can create custom reports for the specific tenants, or groups within them. Further, the provider can offer custom consulting and come up with reports and dashboards for specific tenants for a fee.
- Global reports and dashboards for all
- Global templates for everyone to use as the starting point for commonly used ad-hoc analysis
- Personal space for each users where they can save
- frequently used ad-hoc analysis
- Work-in-progress before the artifacts are released for use with others within the tenancy
- Directories for each tentans where they
- Share custom reports among themselves.
- Proof of concept reports for validation (access may be restricted to certain auditors only)
- Custom development done by provider – often for a fee – available only to users of the particular tenant. artifacts from this section may eventually find its way into the global area, depending on popularity, maturity of the offering etc.
Of course all of these need to be secured properly and there will be sub directories/sections which will have appropriate authorization considerations based on the users’ role within the tenancy.
Architect – Oracle Engineered Systems
BuzzClan is a business consulting company collaborating to provide Oracle software advisory services & implementation services. BuzzClan LLC is committed to providing substantive business value on each and every client engagement. We do this through a combination of industry-specific business expertise, technical skills, proven project management methods and our onsite – off site – offshore delivery model. We strive to work in partnership with our customers to build high-performance teams and create business solutions that will last.