- April 15, 2014
- Posted by: sjain
- Category: Exalytics, private cloud, WL_HOME OBIEE 11g
This is part 2 of a series of articles discussing Private cloud options on Exalytics:
If you are involved in the architecture team of a big organization, taking care of BI arena, you see that BI implementations are very fragmented. Everyone needs to be able to make sense of the data that they are collecting and a different ideas on how they can get around to doing that.
It mostly varies by the business group, Accounting, planning, finance – they tend to rely on Excel, others gravitate towards a combination of Excel and Access, some have custom applications which are built painstakingly using technologies like .net/Asp.net, JSP, Oracle XE and others depending on the level of IT resources available to the business and their core skills.
Once you start to design an enterprise solution and start collecting feedback from these groups, they tend to gravitate towards these 3 bins –
- Enterprise BI Applications
- Custom high value BI applications requiring independent control
- Smaller Datamarts
- Exalytics running bare metal implementation
- Single BI instance
- Multiple BI Instances
- Exalytics virtualized(OVM)
- Single Instance VM’s, one for each application
- Multiple BI Instances on one shared VM
- Single Instance VM’s, shared for multiple applications
I will discuss the pros and cons of these in the next blog.